1. Secret or loud and proud painter/gamer?
Oh, very much loud and proud.
2. What age did you get into painting and what started it off?
I started painting at 12. White Dwarf issue 95 was my first exposure to the hobby. I read that issue over and over. I still have it, in fact. Sometimes, when the nostalgia gets me, I have a quick flick through it still.
3. What was the first model you ever painted?
The first model I ever painted was a Prince August ghoul. Mmm… enamels.
4. What is your favourite miniature or company's miniature to paint?
Generally, Games Workshop. We are living in something of a golden age, so it’s not easy to pin down an absolute favourite amongst all the good stuff that surrounds us.
5. What is your favourite brush/paint brand?
I don’t have a favourite brush brand. I guess I should look into it more, find the optimum brushes. I tend to just stick to Daler Rowney for the most part. As to paints, I use mostly GW paints.
10. What other creative outlets do you use (music, canvas art, etc)?
I am an illustrator and graphic designer, so I pour a lot of myself into that.
11. Are you a gamer as well as a painter?
Yep. I like to use the structure of a gaming system to organise what I am painting. What units, how many guys in each unit, characters etc.
12. What's your game of choice?
I don’t really have one. I flit about. I used to play Warhammer a lot.
13. What game systems do you play?
At the moment, it’s Pulp Alley, Dragon Rampant and Frostgrave.
14. How long have you been playing?
15. What interests you about those games?
Narrative. Seeing it all together on the table. Having a laugh with mates.
16. What is your favourite convention or event have you gone to?
KnaveCon I reckon.
6. What are you working on right now?
Right now I’m working on a Taoist sorcerer from ‘The Demons’ set for A Fistful of Kung Fu.
7. What model would you love to paint that you haven't done yet?
The Nick Bibby dragon ogre.
8. Where do you get your inspiration from?
Other painters, photos on the net, magazines, nature, music, sweaty nightmares.
9. Any hobby tips or cheats to share?
Keep learning new stuff. Try to boil down techniques to their essentials. Paint for the joy of it. Paint toward an end. Is it a game model? Is it for display? Don’t worry about perfection.
17. Favourite gaming moment/war story?
Jeez. There are too many. Running a complete Mighty Empires campaign maybe. http://campaignhammer.blogspot.ie/ Playing the LARPS at Gaelcon back in the day. Watching a Lord of Change get taken down by a band of gobbos in a 40,000 points a side game. Watching a mate’s super cool inquisitor get caught on a chain link fence and fail to untangle himself for the whole game. Running a big RT game with the Scale Creeps as the climax to a month’s long RPG online. There are too many.
18. When you are not conquering the tabletop, what do you do? (Job, hobbies, etc.)
I’m a graphic designer. I like to get out and about in the countryside as much as I can. I’m also married with two boys, so that takes up the lion’s share of my time!